Monday 11 January 2010

The Every-Transguys-Worst-Nightmare Test

There's a new campaign encouraging transguys to get pap or smear tests. In the UK, when you reach a certain age, I think 16, the NHS start sending you letters every year, with an advice note, asking you to book a test with your doctor. Mine have always went straight in the bin.

I will never willingly have a smear test. I know all the health benefits and I agree that the test is a good thing, but as a transgendered person, I will not do it. Shitty attitude, right? I should be looking after my health, huh? I know I should, but I could never bring myself to let someone do that to me. To let someone put something, anything, inside me would go against every grain of my being. I could not physically bring myself to do it. My dysphoria is so bad, I would rather run the risk of cancer, than let a doctor examine me.

In all likelihood I will at some point in my life have cancer. I have lost a number of family members recently to cancer. I believe the statistic is that 1 in 3 people will have cancer at some point. Statistically, I will probably die young from cancer.

My 'plumbing' in this area is kinda fucked up already. I don't get regular periods, sometimes its a 2 or 3 week break, sometimes its 5 or 6 weeks. It's always very sore and heavy and lasts about a week. It's not something I've discussed alot, but I've kinda picked up here and there that it's not really 'normal'. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner these wretched organs are ripped out, the better.

3 comments:

  1. The campaign you refer to is Canadian. In the UK we are not offered the choice to have a pap smear before the disgracefully late age of 25. www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/#eligible
    I repeat, the choice. I appreciate not everyone will want to avail themselves of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's canadian, but frequenting FTM sites, I cant miss it. I guess its different in england then, because Ive been getting those little pink envelopes for years and im still just 27.

    ReplyDelete
  3. might as well just get one so you can get used to it, because you're gonna need to get one before you get top surgery, possibly t and obviously a hysto.

    ReplyDelete