Monday 14 December 2009

The Sandyford

I had the opportunity to visit the clinic in Glasgow that deals with transgender treatment, it's one of only two in Scotland. My friend who moved back to Glasgow, had been having some abdominal pains and was concerned it was related to his hormone treatment. They didn't think it was anything too serious. However, it was a bit of an eye opener for me. It made it seem so much more real, I was in the clinic that I'd only ever read about and was talking to a real life doctor who was well versed in matters of transgenderism (the clinic is called The Sandyford).

I was very impressed with the attitude of the doctor, he seemed genuinely interested, not at all dismissive or critical, he was happy to answer questions and discuss things. I had a hundred questions in my head I could have asked him, but it was my friend's appointment! He had a gynecologist come in and consult with him, who was also brilliant. It made me feel alot more comfortable about coming to the clinc in future myself.

During the appointment, my friend had refered to me as 'he', and at one point the doctor had asked my name, at the time I had given my birth name (which in Scotland is traditionally a boy's name but has been more popularly used as a girl's name in recent years) but he didn't question this. As I've said before my options right now for passing are somewhat limited, but I think he just assumed that I was also transgendered. At the end of the appointment, I had asked him where the bathroom was, and he directed me to the men's toilets, it was nice to have someone direct me to the men's room without the usual awkwardness.

On a side note, I've just ordered my first proper binder! It's the M1300 from T-Kingdom, with shipping included it was just under £35. Not a bad price for what a friend has recommended as being a good binder. I don't expect I'll see it before the new year though with the christmas post. But that's ok, I've waited this long, what's a few more weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment