Monday 16 November 2009

Nature vs Nurture - Round 1

So I've been doing some thinking, a dangerous prospect I know(!). But on the matter of being transgendered, and why does it happen. I'm a christian, I believe that we have a soul, and that which we call gender ties in with your soul. That at the point of conception, the soul makes contact with the foetus, and that your soul has a predetermined gender and that's what you grow into, a girl or a boy.

I know alot of people don't believe that gender is just black and white, male and female, but I do. As I said, I'm a christian, I believe that God made man and woman, those two types, the masculine and the feminine and that they should come together to make a whole, to be yin to the other's yang.

Now most folks are fortunate enough that during their development, their body develops in-line with their gender, and everything turns out ok. But I did wonder, as all foetuses start out as female (and I believe it's around 8 weeks that the foetus will then either develop into a male or a female), if the problem lies there. What if I didn't get enough testosterone in the womb? What if the MTF girls got too much? What if it is really as simple as a matter of biology?

I couldn't blame my upbringing for making me this way, nothing about my childhood influenced me to be male, infact, quite the opposite. I was forever turned out in dresses and pretty outfits, given dolls to play with, the typical girly upbringing. Yet despite all those outside influences, I still wanted to play with my brother's GI Joe, not the Rainbow Sprite that was left gathering dust in the corner. During my awkward teenage years, when all the girls were becoming young women and developing an interest in things of a feminine nature, I was turning into the Humpback of Notre Dame, because I wanted to be masculine, but that wasn't allowed, so I was forced to try and find some kind of middle line that equated to being looked upon as a freak.

Which leads me to discount nurture as the cause of this. There are so many medical birth defects that can occur, who's to say that this isn't just another? I guess the problem is that it's not something that can be diagnosed with a physical examination or a blood test. It's something only that person will be able to determine and over a number of years.

It's just something thats been swirling around in my mind these last couple of days. I honestly do not believe that being transgendered is a mental health issue. I believe it really is just a matter of biology.

On a side note, I made a you tube account. There's such a big trans community on there, I thought it was about time I got involved. I don't plan on uploading any videos just now. I think I'll use it to record my transition once I actually start T, to record physical changes and things. I will still use this blog for thoughts and ramblings. I like being able to articulate myself and say exactly what I want to say and change some thing if I don't like it. I can be more concise here than staring at a camera and saying "um" for 10 minutes.

So... um.... yknow.... add me!

www.youtube.com/user/becomingkeltik

2 comments:

  1. Physical sex is determined when sperm hits the egg. It's about whether the sperm was an x or a y.

    But hormones can give the physical attributes of the other sex.

    It's interesting how you've tried to aline your faith with your trans-ness.

    If you found out you're a XX - a biological girl, how would you make that meet with your Christian view and male and female?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be thrilled if I was xx, put it that way. I don't honestly know enough about foetal development to talk on the matter with any great authority, I was simply speculating.

    With regards aligning my faith, to me, having a spirit is just part of being a living creature. I dont think you can attribute gender to any physical attribute of the body, or a chemical imbalance in the brain. I think it goes beyond that. So to me, it makes sense to think that who and what you are is determined before your born. The body is just a vessel for experiencing life on earth. Sometimes its right, sometimes its wrong.

    As for being trans and christian. I dont know. I am undecided on this matter at the moment. But once I am, Ill be sure to blog about it!

    ReplyDelete